A simple recipe for a lazy afternoon. This Orange Sugar is a great way to use the zest from your winter citrus fruit. Perfect in baked goods, tea and cocoa. You’ll find many uses for this versatile flavored sugar.
It only takes about 30 minutes to make the sugar, which lasts for weeks if stored in a cool, dry place.
All you need to make orange sugar is a few fresh oranges, sugar, a zester and an oven. It’s very easy! And this recipe can easily be doubled to make as much as you’d like. When packaged in mason jars, it makes a sweet gift.
Orange Sugar Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Bake Time: 20 minutes
Oven Temp: 150F
Adapted from Simple Bites
2 oranges, zested
1 cup Sugar (can use white or turbinado)
1. Zest the two oranges and reserve the zest. Cut the oranges in half and juice them.
2. Pour 1 cup of sugar into a medium bowl. Add fresh orange zest. Add 1/4 cup orange juice. Stir to combine and break up wet areas.
3. Spread the orange sugar mixture onto a baking pan evenly. Bake at 150F for 10 minutes.
4. Stir pan to redistribute sugar and break up clumps. Bake for another 10 minutes or until sugar is dry.
5. Remove from pan and let cool for 15 minutes. Place in an airtight container.
I think they’re perfect with a cup of tea. I’ve also used this recipe for scones (check out this awesome Martha Stewart Scone recipe).
Do you use flavored sugars?